- Gathered the salt, whey*, and caraway seeds (which I did not know I had)
- Prepared the cabbage for the food processor
- Food processed
- After 5 minutes of pounding with meat pounder. My arms and hands were very tired. I enlisted help.
- After 10 minutes of pounding, now putting in the quart jar. I did not think enough liquid had been released during the pounding until I got it in the jar and pressed on it with the wooden spoon. Then I saw the juices get released.
- I had to improvise in order to be able to pack the kraut into the jar so that liquid covered the top. The tea container was exactly the right size so I covered it in waxed paper and pressed away.
- Here is the jar and here it will sit until Monday evening.
Friday, January 30
Sauerkraut ist echt toll!
I've made my first foray into lacto-fermentation. I've made the sauerkraut according to the recipe in Nourishing Traditions. And natürlich, I took pictures.